VMM does not support in-place upgrade. You have to uninstall VMM and retain the database. Before uninstalling VMM first uninstall any Update Rollup. After uninstalling VMM, ADK (Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit) 8.0 also have to be uninstalled. Before starting the VMM 2012 R2 installation you have to install ADK 8.1. Make sure you have a complete system state and database backup of the server.
- First step is to uninstall VMM Management Server and VMM Console.
- Next, Uninstall the ADK
- Next, Install the Windows 8.1 ADK (download here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982) Select features: Deployment Tools, and Windows Preinstallation Environment
- Install System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 r2
- Select your existing database (default name is VirtualManagerDB)
Answer “Yes” when asked to upgrade the virtual machine manager database.
- After a successful upgrade you need to start the console and update your VMM agents. Navigate to fabric > servers > all hosts. Please read the official documentation: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=214130